18 January 2008

If I could be anything...

I would be an astronaut. I would travel to space and see the stars and moon and the planets. If I behold God's creation, I'll remember how small I am, and know that my problems are really small. Taking the astronomy class now, I really wish I can see the billions and billions of stars in the sky. I wish I have a hammock on top of some roof where I can hide whenever I'm troubled, just to have my own time to comfort myself with talking to God and meditating His glory.

Or I may want to be a traveller. I'll travel to the deserts where there is no man made lights to obscure the wondrous heavenly bodies. I would love to star at them till I fall asleep, letting the last thought of my mind be the glory of God. Then maybe I can see that my problems are really nothing and maybe I won't be so upset easily. Or I can travel to the poles, to see the auroras, to experience how is it like having only 1 day and 1 night throughout a year.


I just wish to get out of this stifling city environment, just a month will do, to take a good look at what the rest of the world. I want to know what the polar bears see; how does the world look like to them. How do penguins feel? Do they ever feel nauseus being upside down?


In the hymn "Sweet Hour of Prayer", the lyric says something about us flying through the air. It may be figurative, but I really do wish I can do that. The vast expanse of the sky is more liveable than this stifling earth.