15 January 2008

Oh no! A Dilemma!

I was just blogging about my modules last night, and today I'm facing a dilemma between 2 modules.

Well, apparently, Dr Ho Chee Lick took over the CL2281 (Translation and Interpretation module) from another lecturer, and he doesn't know much about interpretation. I signed up for this module especially to take interpretation (simultanous translation and consecutive translation). So when Dr Ho says he is not going to focus on interpretation for this module, it was a big disappointment. Furthermore, he sort of hinted that he will be repeating some stuff from CL2280 (which I have taken already). So, all in all, I don't feel like I will be learning many new things from here. I may be wrong, but the Dr Ho's presentation really make me doubtful.

So I quickly, as soon as lecture is over at 10am, went to the Library and bid for CL3281 (Advance Translation). Originally, I wanted to take that next semester after the Interpretation class and after some more practices since I got a B- in CL2280 before taking advance translation. I also sat in their first lecture int he afternoon on the same day. It looks tough, but I know I am going to learn much for written translation.

Herein is the dilemma: After dropping back to 3.73 CAP last semester, I wanted to do really well for this semester, and so I selected many level 2 modules (including CL2281) and a S/U-able GEM. But now that I don't feel comfortable in CL2281, switching to CL3281 will mean that I'm adding on the possibilities of NOT doing well this sem again. But I enjoy that module. On the other hand, the repetitive CL2281 will mean that I can have a higher chance of scoring well.

Here is the dilemma: should I take CL2281 PURELY for the sake of improving my CAP, or take CL3281 for the sake of learning but at the risk of my CAP?

I really don't know man. I really don't know. I have until 27th Jan to withdraw before the W period sets in.