06 January 2006

back to swiss

Nostalgic, but also fresh. Going back to scss, not as a student but a teacher. I see people who were my teachers are people whom i ought to call collegues now. But of course, i'm not use to it. For those who had taught me, and those who were there when i was still a student there, i don't think i will EVER get use to seeing them as collegue, or calling them by name (as some insisted). It's easier for those whom i didn't know before, though i still have my reserves. Well, just see how it goes.

It's very trial-and-error. I'd ask around to learn new things. But of course, the english dept is REALLY helpful. Ms Geryie, Mr Jefferey, Ms Kaur, Mrs Wong, Ms A Tan - they all helped me in my learning to teach and the syllabus. Mdm Nor taught me photocopying skills...haha. Trust me, that's EXTREMLY important. She is sooo friendly and cheerful, and that helps me feel comfortable. =)

Students wise...well, i can only blog about it some other time. Too early to judge. But one thing i must say - I am defeated. As in, since i've always been wanting to teach, i observe teachers. I thought i would have a WEE bit of knowledge at least on how to teach. But I don't really. God says He'll humble the proud... ah well... He did it. Thankful it's now. =D
It's a whole new experience to practise what you think is the way in front of 40 students. Especially when teaching 3N, there's a need for shameless confidence, which, I don't have enough of it to handle the class. (so is it a gd thing or a bad one?)

The other challenge would be to teach myself to be as good as can be in english. Confession: I'm not that good at it either. My grammatical errors use to torture my lit teachers. Ah well...

I don't want to have a lofty ideal of becoming a John Keating (Dead Poet Society) in the class/school. I don't want to want making a difference in somebody's life. I dare not expect myself to do that. Seeing from the survey forms, i know some of them really loves english or want to love it, all that i want is to be able to make their passion continue. Or, to explore the extent of this passion with them. For those who hates it, I want to develope interest in it.

Sounds great.

Problem is: how?

I'm still thinking about it.