21 July 2006

Bukit Ho Swee CC Market

Aiya, no picture.

Well, yesterday and today I went to SEAB (Singapore Examination and Assesment Board) to work as temporary stuff. Ok lah, mindless saikangs but alright. I don't mind doing. People there are nice, and I learnt a life skill of binding documents and tying parcels....hehehe.

Anyway, there is a food market there, just opposite Bukit Ho Swee CC, not Tiong Bahru market though. I love it there.

1) Cheap food (e.g $2.50 lasi lemark consisting of 1 BIG chicken part, 1/2 luncheon, 1 egg, ikan bilis, 1 cucumber slice, a full rice bowl of rice, generous spoon of superb chili.....WOO I'M DROOLING~!!)

2) It's got the old style kampong feel.

What got me to actually blog about that eating experience is actually point no.2. As I was eating this afternoon (delicious yong tau foo...7 pieces plus noodles for $2.30!) I observed some stuff. First, the hawkers are helpful to the customers AS WELL AS each other. They are those older generation hawkers you'll expect in such an old food market. But they are kind and helpful to their customers. Particularly, at the yong tau foo stall, the lady helped us take the utensils, ask whether we want chili or sweet source (when it's actually self service), and recommands, like, "this will be great with this sauce". Another ban mian stall i patronized yesterday also has hawkers who really do sound like they value you as a customer. They may not LOOK friendly, but you can feel it. This is so unlike the modern coffee shops, or worse, FOOD COURTS! The hawkers there are stony and cold, I don't really feel as comfortable as it was at that old food market.

Second, they help each other! The drink stall uncle helps clear bowls from other stalls when he doesn't have business. He doesn't give me the pissed off look when I sat right in front of his stall but said no to getting a drink. The hawkers talk to each other across stalls when they are free. They are not rivals - they are business partners. How pleasant!

This foodmarket looks really old. It has got the usual old market things, like cramp seatings, old fans. But it is actually quite clean on the floor and utensils! It's not hot and stuffy, and trust me, the hawkers attitudes really marks their value up.

I hope the gahmen won't touch them. Don't go and "upgrade" that place such that these hawkers don't want to continue business and thus replaced by new generation robotic food businessmen. Don't cause the rental to mark up because it makes it hard for the hawkers' living, and causes them embarressment at having to mark up their price even fr old customers. If gahment really wanna upgrade, please ensure new generation workers are as friendly and have the right attidtude.

Hai, I can't stop gahment one la. I can't stop changes. It will be touched one day. So before it's gone forever, I hope to visit it often.

But whosoever wants to know how to get there, let me know! =)

Cheerz